Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime

Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Best Month Ever!

It’s hard to believe that the month is already over, but at the same time it feels like we were all together in New Zealand forever. In the last two weeks we all got to know each other really well, and right when we’re having the most fun, it’s time to leave. This whole month has been amazing, and I’ve had an awesome time with everyone, so picking out my one fondest memory is tough.

One of the very last things that we did was the Tongariro Crossing, a 17 km hike. Finishing that was a huge accomplishment for me because I’ve never hiked nearly that far. I had a great time doing it too, even though it was really tough. This was a big challenge for me, but not my biggest challenge. My biggest challenge began before we had even left for New Zealand. Before January, I had never been abroad. I went out on a limb and decided to do this study abroad without knowing anyone else on the trip. I’m really glad I did because I’ve proven to myself that I’m capable of things I never though I was, and I’m confident enough to do those things on my own and out of my comfort zone.

I can’t pick out just one fondest memory from the month, but I do have a favorite activity. The one thing I enjoyed the most was getting to know everyone on the trip. We’ve spent so many hours talking in the halls of our dorms, on the bus, or in the hostels that I feel like we’ve all known each other forever. One day in Wellington, we spent literally half the day locked up in the hot room of our hostel just talking. That was one of my favorite days in New Zealand. I don’t think that a better group of people could’ve been put together for this study abroad. After the first day there was hardly an awkward silence or dull moment. I’m really glad that we all got along so well, and I’m going to miss everyone. We’re all going back into our own little worlds at UD, but I really hope that everyone keeps in touch because I love you all.

No comments:

Mt Ruapehu

Mt Ruapehu