My fondest memory from my trip to New Zealand is of the first night of my free weekend. That Thursday afternoon, Cat, Lauren, Justin, Adam and I arrived at Marahau Beach, near Nelson. It was a great relief to reach our hostel and solidify the next day’s kayaking plans. Though tired and hungry, the warm night made the walk to restaurant enjoyable.
The dinner and dessert was delicious, but the conversation was even better. Although a bit forced in the beginning, by the end of the night it was as if we were old friends. I consider my memory of this night to be my favorite because on this night I became friends with individuals on the trip who I may not have otherwise gotten to know. Until then, I had not really spoken with Cat or Lauren; that night at Marahau Beach, however, I learned just how interesting these two girls really are. Similarly, I might never have fully appreciated Justin’s unique and hilarious sense of humor had I not gone on the trip.
Like several other students, I consider my greatest challenge to be hiking the Tongariru Crossing. Very early that morning we boarded a bus for the ninety minute ride to the trail. When we arrived, and I saw the gear other hikers were wearing, a sense of dread that I was ill-prepared gripped my stomach. Thankfully, the only piece of clothing I really missed was my neck gator.
What made this hike my greatest challenge was how physically demanding it was. The trails were steep and very rocky; unstable rocks along the path made the hiking that much more treacherous. At higher altitudes, the bitter cold, icy wind made me grateful I had brought my windbreaker.
Five hours later, as we reached the trail’s end, I felt, above all, proud of my accomplishment. The wobbliness in my legs as we neared the end assured me I’d be aching for several days to come. But this feeing was a good one; my body had been tested, and it had passed. I felt proud that I had finished that difficult hike and that I had been up for the challenge.
Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro
Tuesday, February 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mt Ruapehu

No comments:
Post a Comment