Hey guys, Kelly here. Well the first blog didn't work, so lets try this time. We are now in Hamilton at the University of Waikato. Things are going great so far and we have done so much so far, in such a small amount of time. After stayin in some hostels and suitcasing it up and down the northern coast, hittin' Cape Reinga and the 90 mile beach, I am happy to be settled and unpacked. Culture shock has not hit me, yet! Although, I must say that kiwi folks are nice, kinda, and very patient. My favorite thing we did so far was visit the Treaty grounds at Waitangi. Our tour guide, Wil, is a Maori anthropologist with stature in his tribe. He spoke to us all about the original agreements between the English settlers and the native Maoris and the three conditions of their treaty. It was also very interesting to know that New Zealand is the only recognized country with two flags. The treaty grounds were beautiful with amazing gardens surrounding the buildings. It was cool ! ! to see all of the sculptures and I was very honored to be allowed into one of the Maori meeting houses. This weekend should be amazing, because we are priviliged enough to stay at a Maori vllage, and I am excited to try their food cooked into the ground. Today was a great day filled with adventure. Started off drifting down a raft looking up at the glow worms, and ending with the shearing of a rabbit (!?). Well, as the tour guide said today.. "leave only footprints in new zealand and take only photos"...
well oops- I already bought some jade
over and out -kls
Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro
Tuesday, January 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mt Ruapehu

No comments:
Post a Comment