Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime

Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Week 1

Helloooo!
Well, New Zealand is all it has been cracked up to be. Despite the terrible plane ride, which turned out to be not that bad, everything has gone perfectly so far. The amazing views from both Mount Eden and Rangitoto were perfect ways to start off the trip, and things have only gotten more amazing since then. I wish that we had gotten to spend more time in Auckland, but it is always a possibility for our free weekend coming up.I was also really happy that we got to spend more time in Paihia, and a couple of hours in Russell. One of my favorite things so far was the trip to the Waitangi Treaty House. I think that the stories of the Maori and their civilization are so interesting. Plus, Will was the most intelligent guide I have ever encountered, and made things extra interesting. Paihia's night life was also a lot of fun, and I think that the small bar atmosphere helped all of us to get to know each other a little better. Traveling to the sand dunes, the light house, and the 90 mile beach was also a lot of fun. The beaches here are so amazing, I never want to leave. Sand Surfing was really cool, but I'm extremely happy that I didn't wipe out like Katy and Callie. My favorite town so far has been Russell. I love it's small size and tranquility. The beach there was unlike all of the others that we have seen so far, and I thought that added to it's uniqueness. Although I loved Auckland, Russell, and Paihia, I was glad to finally arrive in Hamilton and get to unpack and settle in. I was surprised to see how big our dorms actually are. I also love the main strip of the town. I can't wait to be able to go out and experience New Zealand night life down there. In addition, I have to say that it is pretty nice having a pool nearby because the weather here has been amazing.My FAVORITE activity by far has been the black water rafting. As many of you may have noticed, I am really not much of an outdoorsy person, and I was very nervous to do this, but i thought it was absolutely amazing. The glow worms were stunning, and it ended up being more beautiful than scary. I thought that our guide for this trip was also really good. So far, all of the people we have worked with have been so knowledgeable, which I think really benefits the trip.Although I am not a geology major, and rarely take classes within the arena of any type of science, I am finding all of the information we are learning, both in the classroom and out, very interesting. I can't wait for the weekend and to experience the Maori and then for RotorVegas!! So far, it has all been great!!!

No comments:

Mt Ruapehu

Mt Ruapehu