Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime

Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Start of Week 3

Hey everyone! It's week three already can you believe it?! We're in the home stretch and we'll be heading home before we know it so we best get out there and have as much fun as possible!

I was excited to hear about everyone's free weekend. Mine was absolutely amazing! Not only did I get to see kiwis in the wild which would've been awesome enough on its own, I got to stay with the family that actually lives on the island. I didn't realize this until I got there but theres actually a Moari family of about 8 that owns land on Kapiti Island and gets paid by the DOC to maintain the island. I stayed with them and I was the only person on the tour that day, so it was like living with a host family for a night. I ate dinner with them and sat and talked to them. It was like I was a member of the family. It was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. The kiwi spotting itself was also amzing. The island was pitch black and my guide, a Moari named Kerry, carried two cuper powerful flashlights (torches) and me with my little $5 that I bought at the Warehouse went trapsing off into the bush in search of the kiwi. There were 2 false alarms because there are these other birds called wekas that are also flightless birds. In the end we saw 5 or 6 kiwis. It was great! One of the best experiencesof the trip so far.

Staying in Wellington for the rest of my free weekend was also nice. Its so much nicer than Auckland and I can't wait to go back there with the whole group. The Blend bar was good, as was the Sports pub, they have Guinness on tap!!!!! Matt and I met a lot of people from all over and really just sat around and hung out. It was one of the greatest weekends not only from the trip but ever! I look forward to hearing of other peoples adventures.

I'm looking forward to going to Raglan and White Island and like I said Wellington with everyone will be great. Until next time!

-Cheers!
Mike M

No comments:

Mt Ruapehu

Mt Ruapehu