Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime

Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro

Monday, January 22, 2007

Tuesday, January 23rd

The part of Kiwi culture that I experienced best over the four day weekend probably had to do with how relaxed and good natured the native New Zealanders are. Everyday I see or am a part of something that leads me to think, "This would never happen at home". For example, during our four day weekend my group kayaked alone in an area we had never been to after having only having learned to kayak the day before. Literally, our guide handed us a map, told us where we needed to be and at what time, and set us loose.
I also admire how trusting the people are here. When we went to the Kaori museum I marveled at how pieces of wood that were thousands of years old were on display so that anyone could have taken them. The hostels we stayed at this weekend had bedroom doors that didn't lock. At home, this would mean that all your valuable belongings would be gone in a day. However, here it just means that they don't want you to forget your key and be locked out.
I think the experience this weekend that best encapsulates these feelings of "Never in the US..." had to be the dinner the last night of our weekend. To celebrate our living through the experience, and to thank Adam for all his hardwork planning to trip, we went to an upscale restaurant Sunday night. Three people on the trip ordered a meal where the server brought out skewers of raw meat that cooked before you on a very very hot stone. It was up to the customer to manuever the kabobs on the stone, being careful not to get burned in the process. Lauren, who ordered chicken, was told by the server to make sure she cooked the meat thoroughly, and then he walked away. I don't think this could ever happen at home; can you imagine the kinds of release forms that you would have to sign before the meal could be brought out?

**Cheers to New Zealanders for having a culture where it's citizens have enough sense of personal responsiblity and common sense to live without overbearing rules and regulations.**

No comments:

Mt Ruapehu

Mt Ruapehu