Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime

Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

First Week

We've been here less than a week and I feel like I've had multiple life changing or life imprinting experiences so far. The culture in this country to me could be a model for others. The first thing I notices, as well as others, is how clean and natural things are. Even at the international airport in Auckland the air had the aroma of flowers. The people here are either much more conscious of their environment or it is the proper mix of space an population. Or even a mix of the two. Either way, other countries should be envious of the environment that these kiwi's are surrounded by.
The next inspiring thing and the focus for the rest of this entry will be the native people of this land, the Maori. Their culture is tied into the modern culture in a way that is unlike any other member of the British empire that I know of. The culture of the Maori is still very strongly ingrained in the ways of today. The rugby team, the pride of the country, perform a traditional Maori Haka dance before every kick-off. I thought it was nice that the traditional culture was part of modern culture but other that that I didn't think too much of it. However after visiting Waitangi, the location where the treaty that made New Zealand a colony was signed, I found a deep respect for the culture of the Maori and the New Zealanders that still utilize it.
The Maori, for a "privative" culture (by the bias of western civilization) had a amazingly advanced society socially. For trials people were given trial and representation before being proven guilty. These are founding principles that the American Bill of Rights prides itself upon. Also, they had a very high appreciation and social standings for women. Something that western civilization struggled to allow until the 1900's. Furthermore their culture prided themselves on resolving conflicts before their meeting houses verbally, and when the dust settled over the area so did their argument. Those that couldn't agree with that were considered weak in character. These principles, along with too many others to name gave a new appreciation for the modern Maori people and their culture, for the modern New Zealand culture, and the ancient Maori that put forth this culture.

No comments:

Mt Ruapehu

Mt Ruapehu