There has not been a single thing this entire trip that I haven’t enjoyed! Everyday seems to get better with new adventures, and I am so grateful to be here. I haven’t had a hard time adjusting to the cultural differences, for the most part. However, the little things that are different are things that I would never have guessed would be. Some of my favourite differences have been “trim” milk, morning tea, meat pies, and as I write the word “favourite” the computer automatically puts a “u” in the word!
I think the most interesting cultural experience has been learning how influential the Maori culture is in New Zealand. Most places we have visited have been significant to the Maori in one way or another, and it seems that everyone knows that. I learned that all students have to take Maori as a language in school. I guess I assumed Maori would be about as influential as Native American culture in the United States.
It is hard to choose favourite activities, but if I had to choose, I would have to say the boat cruise around the Bay of Islands, Blackwater Rafting, and the bushwalk we did yesterday. The boat ride was gorgeous. I spent the whole trip out on the front deck. The sea was calm, the weather was fantastic, and there were jumping dolphins! Seeing the glow worms in the cave was an unforgettable experience, mixed with a little adrenaline! I love hiking, and the bushwalk was incredible. I did not want it to end. I really enjoyed seeing the natural cave entrances. We have only been here a week and I have learned and experienced so much. I look forward to the next few weeks, and the adventures that are to come!
Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mt Ruapehu

No comments:
Post a Comment