Our four day weekend was unfortunately, as many of you already know, turned into a three day weekend. Although Sunday was a bit rough, overall the weekend was a great experience. I spent the weekend with Ariel, Jamie, and Kristin in what we thought was Tauranga, but Pacific Coast Backpackers in actually in Mount Maunganui, but it was fine because the white sandy beach that was in walking distance was well worth it and for a night out in Tauranga it was just a quick cab ride in. This weekend was most definitely a learning experience in that being an American you have to prove the others wrong the stereotype, which we found is harder than we thought. We met alot of kiwis and got to experience a few parts of their culture. What I find most interesting is ironically; the hostel situation. Being in my major, I have learned about hospitality and competition between other businesses. I found that Hostels, since they are on average only $20 a night are more focused on a smaller community in that they phone your previous hostel to find if you were a good customer and if not, they are not interested in your $20, where as in America, not accepting that $20 means you will never sell that room for that night so it is only the hotel owner that is missing purely profit. What is most frustrating to me about this though is that it is by word of mouth and with that comes false reputations from misunderstandings.
Aside from the Hostel situation, I have found nothing but generosity and welcoming on the Kiwi's part. It is not every country that you can come by such friendly faces when it is usually clear that you are foreign. I have also found that kiwis are quite patient; ie: the service. I think it is a breath of fresh air though, its almost as if time is no big deal here, which is fine by me! My favorite kiwi quote: "No worries" I seem to hear that every where I go, it is a good ideal to go by! My mom is starting to worry that I may not ever go home...
Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mt Ruapehu

No comments:
Post a Comment