Hello Everyone! I hope you all are enjoying your break as well as gearing up for our trip that is rapidly approaching in less than one week. About a week ago I received a card in the mail with the following quote, which I believe perfectly describes my feelings about our upcoming travels:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER." ~Mark Twain
This quote also makes me wonder if Captain Cook felt the same way as he traveled on the Endeavor. If you haven't had the chance to read Blue Latitudes (which talks about Cook's journey), definitely check it out. It's an entertaining, informative, and easy read. It was on the suggested reading list along with the lonelyplanet guide that Jonathan provided the net link for in the previous blog.
I know that New Zealand will be a journey of a lifetime, and I cannot wait to learn more about the Maori culture in addition to the Geology and Biology (I'm a senior Geology major with a Paleobiology concentration). Along with plenty of people on this trip, I enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, especially when the weather's warm. Thus far my favorite places in the world are the U.S. National Parks with Yellowstone as my all-time favorite. This is my first time leaving the continent, and I hope to add New Zealand to my list of favorite places. Having said this, some of the things that I'm really interested in seeing in New Zealand are the Geothermal Hot Springs and Geysers. They were awesome to see in Yellowstone, and I'm sure they will be equally awesome in NZ. I found a website that talks about the hot springs and Geysers in Rotorua (http://www.rotoruanz.com/activities/geothermal.asp), and it even mentions "Eco Thermal Tours" under the Elite Adventures link. I think it would be an interesting outing for one of the days during our free weekend.
I wish you all the best as you prepare for our trip! Don't forget to EXPLORE, DREAM, and DISCOVER in all that you do!!
Experience the Learning Adventure of a Lifetime
Tongariro
Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mt Ruapehu

No comments:
Post a Comment